Last Wednesday at Knitting Meet Up, Emma was making a really simple but cute baby hat. With a few baby presents on my horizon, I decided to give it a go. She used this (Rav link) pattern but I found this one which works top down instead of bottom up. Since then, I have made both a couple of times and although the bottom up gives a neater fabric at the top, I like the top down a bit better because you can increase until you get the right size. Here is one being modelled by my son.
Because the increase rows create bumps in the fabric, I chose the yarn to make it look like it was supposed to be like that. I’m pleased with the result, particularly as they only take a couple of hours. They also look really different when made out of different yarns. Thanks Em for solving baby gift problems (over the winter months at least!).